Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 27748: /trunk/plugins/profinet/ /tru

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 00:29:13 +0100
Joerg Mayer schrieb:
On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 09:40:03PM +0000, ulfl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/viewvc.cgi?view=rev&revision=27748
 crc16 algorithm copied from Linux sources (GPL V2 only!)

So far the wireshark sources are v2 or later - so adding a gplv2 only file
is not something that should be done without asking *first*, because it
has effects for all of Wireshark. Or maybe there already were files that
are v2 only and I missed that?

I had in mind that we already have GPL V2 only files in Wireshark before, but I may be wrong here.

I can remove the two "GPL V2 only" files, as this is "only" a CRC16 expert check here. That is the CCITT implementation of CRC16 which is not already existing in Wireshark AFAIK. Having the CCITT CRC16 in Wireshark would be probably a good idea anyway.

Some time ago when I actually implemented the stuff I couldn't find a GPL V2 or later implementation.

Question is: How to continue?

Regards, ULFL