Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Detecting Protocol Headers

From: Rayne <hjazz6@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 01:29:37 -0700 (PDT)
--- On Tue, 3/10/09, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Detecting Protocol Headers
To: hjazz6@xxxxxxxxx, "Developer support list for Wireshark" <wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tuesday, March 10, 2009, 6:42 AM

Rayne wrote:
> > Where can I find an example where dissect-protocol() is called?
>
> What do you mean by "dissect-protocol()"?
>
> For example "dissect_ip()", "dissect_gtp()" etc.

Dissectors are usually not called directly; they're either called through
a dissector table, or a heuristic dissector list, or a dissector handle.
There are some cases where they're called directly, usually because some
extra information has to be passed to them (such as the SCSI dissector
routines).

What is it you're looking for there?

** I'm mostly looking for examples of what exactly are passed into the dissect_protocol() functions.