Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 27595: /trunk/epan/dissectors/ /trun

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 16:46:44 -0800

On Mar 3, 2009, at 4:28 PM, Stephen Fisher wrote:

Should these be obsoleted?

No.

Instead, set_pref() should be modified to look for preferences for the "x.25" module, and map those to the "x25" module. See the code following the

	/* To which module does this preference belong? */

comment.  That way, your old preferences will be preserved.

And, yes, a lot of that backwards-compatibility preference mapping should be done by allowing dissectors to specify preference module aliases and preference aliases, rather than by hard-coding the rules into set_pref(). Some of them are tricky to map, and would require some code to do the mapping to be specified along with the alias.