Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Calling Non-Standard dissectors from L2TP

From: Akshitij Malik <akimalik@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 09:58:47 +0530
Hi,

    Thanks for the info, however I do not see any dissector table getting registered using "register_dissector_table".

    So does one go ahead and modify the L2TP dissector code to register the dissector table?

    Alternatively, I had added a string preference to take in the name of an alternate protocol to dissect after L2-Specific Header fields have been dissected. That way one can switch between multiple protocols on-the-fly simply by changing preferences.

    Comments/Suggestions welcome as to which is the best approach.

Regards,
aki

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:10 AM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Feb 24, 2009, at 2:57 AM, Akshitij Malik wrote:

>     I was wondering if it is possible for L2TP to call on a
> dissector other than the standard dissectors mentioned in
> proto_reg_handoff_l2tp?

Currently, no, not without modifying the L2TP dissector.

However, there should probably be a dissector table for the L2TPv3
dissector, so that arbitrary dissectors can register in that table
with the appropriate protocol number, which would let your dissector
do so.