Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Support for ASN.1 ECN in asn2wrs

From: Olivier Willot <olivier.willot@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 16:58:17 +0900
Hi

Is there any plan to add support of Encoding Control Notation in asn2wrs? That would allow to easily add support for non ASN.1 based protocols without needing to hand-code a dissector.

In the mean-time, any workaround ( custom wireshark specific encoding for instance )?

I need to develop dissectors for ASCII based application protocols and some packed binary structs based ones as well. I seems that for ASCII based ones, using IA5 strings only with standard PER encoding could do it, but I would like to be sure under which conditions PER will encode my field with a TLV triplet and under which condition I can be sure it will only write the field value with no prefix. Do you have an example of ASCII based protocol which abstract syntax exactly matches the corresponding C structure? Using Which encoding?

Thanks
Olivier