Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] It takes forever to compile Wireshark on my box

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 09:11:07 +0100
On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 08:38:16AM +0100, Jaap Keuter wrote:
> If you think it's related to your specific dissector you could make it into a
> plugin (see doc/README.plugin). That way you can more easily compile "just your
> dissector", and compare compile time.

> > I am a newbie!!! I have installed wireshark on a Ubuntu box and am trying
> > to add my own dissector to it by copying the file in epan/dissectors and
> > configuring Makefile.common.
> >
> > Every time I go for compilation it takes almost one hour for it to
> > compile. Funny thing is that without touching it compiling the original
> > source code only take 25 minutes.

Or you could log the whole process (the normal build first, then the build
with only your new dissector being changed).
Best way to document that would be to do that in a session that gets logged
completely with the "script" command. Please compress the output before
sending it here (or, as an alternative, send it to me personally - I don't
care whether it's compressed or not).

Ciao
    Joerg