Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] News from the msvcr dll hell ... and a possiblesolution!

From: "Anders Broman" <a.broman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 08:30:01 +0100

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] För Ulf Lamping
Skickat: den 15 februari 2009 12:44
Till: wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ämne: [Wireshark-dev] News from the msvcr dll hell ... and a
possiblesolution!

>Hi!
>
>On a computer without any Visual Studio version installed I tested my
>private Wireshark build compiled with Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition
>and with it's own installer. As usual, this installer will call the
>vcredist_x86.exe, so it installs the msvcr80.dll for the 2005 studio.
>
>However, I was facing the problem of Wireshark not loading (probably
>because of missing dlls).
>

>So I digged deeper into that problem, looking for a program to display
>the required dlls. I've found:
>
>http://www.dependencywalker.com/
>
>that displays the dlls, so I looked at the problematic computer.
>
>I found out that the problematic dependency chain was:
>
>libwireshark.dll
>   lua5.1.dll
>     msvcr90.dll
>
>Strangely, the dependency walker was finding a msvcr90.dll in "program
>files\image magick". I don't know if Windows will really use this
>totally unrelated dll or if this is a bug in dependency walker. Maybe
>that's the reason, that we get different error messages on different
>computers - because different additional programs are installed?!?
>
>Anyway, the msvcr90.dll in image magick was the older version (without
>SP1) of the two possible, but lua seems to need the newer one[1].

We actually have lua.dll:s for the different VS versions
lua5_1_4_Win32_dll6_lib.zip
lua5_1_4_Win32_dll8_lib.zip
lua5_1_4_Win32_dll7_lib.zip
lua5_1_4_Win32_dll9_lib.zip
So perhaps we should fix the build scripts to pick the right one?

>After installing vcredist_x86.exe for MSVC2008 SP1 [2], Wireshark
>started without a problem.
>

>First of all, I'm glad that I've found the cause of the problem :-)
>

>So a solution for MSVC 2005 (EE) devels like me:
>
>1) Install SP1 for your Visual Studio - a good idea anyway
>
>2) Add vcredist_x86.exe / or the corresponding msvcr files for 2008 SP1
>to the installer, even if developing under 2005

I think we may need to add  vcredist_x86.exe to the MSVC 2008 build any way.
http://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-users/200902/msg00052.html
http://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/200902/msg00114.html

>I guess it's a good idea to integrate 2) into the setup / build process ...
>
>Regards, ULFL
>
>[1]
>http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChToolsMSChain.html#id47151
51