Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Plugin module dissctor fails assertion

From: Johannes Bauer <dfnsonfsduifb@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 16:00:56 +0100
Hello list,

I'm currently trying to write a wireshark disector that slices up a
specific custom USB device. Now I've read the (BTW absolutely
marvellous!) documentation about how writing plugins and I can get
disectors to work which do basic stuff (like recognize IP packets or
such). But since I want to disect USB (which appearently is also coded
in a module), when I call:

dissector_add("usb.data_flag", 0x1, sbig_handle);

Wireshark cries out in pain:

ERROR:packet.c:697:dissector_add: assertion failed: (sub_dissectors)

It seems it cannot find the "usb" disector (which presumably isn't
loaded at that time of execution) - it doesn't matter if I type in
"usb.data_flag" or "fdsuhfd", it's the exact same exception.

How is such a case handled, where one plugin depends on another being
loaded?

Kind regards
Johannes