Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Runtime error after a few hours of running

From: "Joshua (Shiwei) Zhao" <swzhao@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 18:39:39 -0800
I found the "etherXXXX" file in temp directory, which is over 1GB. I tried to load it with Wireshark. It expected at least 30min to load.
But the same error happens again after 10min and only 20% packets were loaded.

Then I tried again and watched in Task Manager that the PF usage kept increasing until almost 100%. It crashed again as about 20% loaded.

So it's most likely a 'out of memory'?

I haven't tried 1.0.5. I may try it later...

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 5:02 PM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Feb 4, 2009, at 4:27 PM, Bill Meier wrote:

> My first guess would be "out of memory".

Although for that I'd expect either

       1) "Access violation reading location 0x00000000" (or some other
small value), i.e. a null-pointer dereference from something that did
a malloc() and didn't check whether it succeeded

or

       2) an assertion failure message from g_malloc() calling abort() on
failure (I think abort() failures turn up as a unique type of failure
on Windows).

Is there an "etherXXXXXX" file, for some value of "XXXXXX", in your
(Joshua's) temporary file directory?  (I forget where Windows hides
the per-user temporary file directory.)  If so, does Wireshark crash
if you try to read it?

(Also, what happens with Wireshark 1.0.5, the current version?)