Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Open Watcom C compiler ?

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 22:28:25 +0100
Gerald Combs schrieb:
Kukosa, Tomas wrote:
Hi,
does it make sence to have Wireshark compileable for Windows platform
with Watcom C? (http://openwatcom.org)
What is your opinion?
Is there here any active user of this compiler?

Is the Watcom C library GPL-compatible? Could we use it as a replacement for the
legions of Microsoft CRTs (and side-step Manifest Hell)?

Well, if you want to switch over completely to the Watcom toolchain this might work. Don't know what this would cause at a lot of other places though.

If you want to keep using the MS Studio for building and debugging (personally I would like to keep it that way), this will probably not work, as the CRTs are closely bound to the compiler.

However, all of the above is guesswork. My last work with the Watcom compiler is more than five years ago ...

Regards, ULFL

P.S: To get out of the Manifest hell, it might really help to add the mt.exe call for all the dlls build (e.g. plugins) and not only a "selected few".