Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] New toplevel Telephone menu item

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 07:29:02 +0100
Ulf Lamping wrote:
Jaap Keuter schrieb:
Hi,

Well that was easy:
grep 'everything with telephone icon' | xargs mv menu/Telephony
;)

No, even easier: There was already a menu group telephony, I only needed to put this into a separate menu ;-)

Simple and elegant, I like it.

I'm oke with this idea, but would suggest to call it 'Telecom' i.s.o. 'Telephony', because it entails more than plain telephony.

I don't have strong feelings here - but isn't the term "Telecom" too wide? When I look at Wikipedia[1], this includes "local area networks" and "internet" which is exactly what I don't want to include here ;-)

For myself the term "Telephony" is really more intuitive ...

It all depends of your point of view. For networking guys everything slightly related to real time communications is quickly called Telephony, while telephony guys look at it as purely voice communications[2]. Telecom on the other hand casts a net over all real time communications, being either voice, video, modem, fax etc.
So Telephony may be too strict, while Telecom may be too wide....

Also now the telephone icon has lost its meaning (they all have it, of course!) it should be dropped.

Right. Unless it's possible to find more specific icons, the simple telephone icon is not really informative. I'll remove it.

Oke, thanks.

Regards, ULFL

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecom

[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephony