Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] New toplevel Telephone menu item

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 23:15:23 +0100
Michael T�xen schrieb:
That sound like an excellent idea...

Hmmm, I'm not that sure.

On Jan 29, 2009, at 10:16 AM, Guy Harris wrote:

On Jan 29, 2009, at 12:27 AM, Michael T�xen wrote:

I like the idea, but I do not think that the SCTP related items should
be moved there. It is correct that SCTP was originally developed in
for the telephony environment, but it is a general transport protocol
nowadays.
I don't see any reason why a given statistic must be in only one menu;
for example, I could imagine a "Web" menu with HTTP statistics and WAP
statistics, with WAP statistics also in the "Telephony" menu, and I
could also see a "Transport" menu with SCTP (and TCP and...) and
possibly also have it (and TCP?) in a "Telephony" menu.

IMHO there is one big issue with this idea.

If I find SCTP under Statistics and also under Telephony I would expect *different* functionality - just to figure out by experiment that the functionality is exactly the same.

That's not really intuitive.

I really would tend to keep the entries only in one category. I don't really mind in which one - I'm not an expert in this regard.

@Michael: Let's make a deal. You're extending the SCTP wiki page http://wiki.wireshark.org/SCTP a bit (it's currently only mentioning telephony) and I'll move the entry from Telephony to Statistics :-)

Regards, ULFL