Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] GeoIP and what to expect

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 09:54:24 -0800
The GeoIP UAT entries should contain the absolute paths of directories that
contain GeoIP databases, and not the paths to the databases themselves. Try
changing one of the entries to the path of your "Downloads" directory, deleting
the other two entries, and restarting Wireshark. I've updated the tooltip in the
name resolution preferences to explain this a little better.

If the databases load correctly, you should see GeoIP data in
"Statistics->Endpoint List->IPv4" as well as in the IP packet detail.

The following GeoIP display filter fields are currently defined:

  ip.geoip.asnum
  ip.geoip.city
  ip.geoip.country
  ip.geoip.dst_asnum
  ip.geoip.dst_city
  ip.geoip.dst_country
  ip.geoip.dst_isp
  ip.geoip.dst_org
  ip.geoip.isp
  ip.geoip.org
  ip.geoip.src_asnum
  ip.geoip.src_city
  ip.geoip.src_country
  ip.geoip.src_isp
  ip.geoip.src_org

They are all strings, so you can filter using the "contains" and "matches"
operators, e.g.

  ip.geoip.asnum contains "17374"
  ip.geoip.city matches "(?i)peculiar, mo"