Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Package issue under Windows XP

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 18:54:34 -0800
Sean wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm using source code of 1.0.4 to build package under windows XP,
> the compiler is Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition,
> the config.nmake is configured to MSVC_VARIANT=MSVC2008EE,
> after compilation, the package is created successfully,
> but after installing on windows XP,
> the wireshark can't run successfully,
> following is the message:
>
> The application failed to initialize properly(0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application.

If you have Visual Studio 2008 Profesional Edition, you should set
MSVC_VARIANT to MSVC2008 instead of MSVC2008EE (which is for the Express
Edition). One of the key differences between the Express Editions of
Visual Studio (and the reason we have different variant definitions) is
that they don't come with package-able versions of the C and C++
runtimes, while the "full frontal" editions do.

Setting the variant to MSVC2008EE (or MSVC2005EE) means that the
installer you create won't come with the C runtime, and assumes that
you'll have Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package
installed on the target machine.