Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] How does the wireshark identify the corresponding protocol a

From: "Yuming fang" <fangyuming.leo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 21:17:45 +0800

At present, I want to check the LTE MAC dissector. Could you give me some information about your solution of checking the code through wireshark?

I'll send a brief email to wireshark-dev after I commit the code to subversion (I'm one of the maintainers with write access to subversion).  You do need to attach some configuration information to each frame in order to decode it, I'll show how I do it for my company's log file format.

I will appreciate it.

Note that Wireshark already has support for several LTE signalling protocols (S1AP, X2AP, RRC, NAS), and and although they're not normally carried over TCP I'm sure we could allow them to be decoded over a configured TCP port.

I see some code about the RRC in wireshark. It seems we could not decode the LTE data directly because there is no LTE card. So I want to decode the LTE data through a configured TCP port(At present we use the port 9999 as a test.). But how could my LTE code be added into this dissector(tcp.port=9999) perfectly? Could you give me some suggestions?

Is your data on top of TCP MAC/RLC/PDCP/RRC, or just RRC?

If its just RRC, its not just a case of calling the RRC dissector, you need to call the correct entry point, which depends upon the RLC logical channel type it was carried upon.  So you'd need some way of knowing which type of channel a TCP connection was carrying.

It is LTE MAC data and the wireshark(libpcap) capture the data through tcp.port(9999). Now I want to add the MAC code into the tcp.port(9999) dissector.(I added this dissector into wireshark) If I just want to test my MAC code, is this methor ok? If it is ok, which APIs in wireshark should I use?

Thank you very much!

Best wishes,
Yuming

Thank you!