Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Query on loading packets using command lineoptions

Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 21:52:04 +0100
Hi Atdev,

Your command line:
> $mergecap -w merge1_2.cap input1.cap input2.cap|wireshark -w chopped.cap
-b filesize:200 -a files:4 -i 2 merge1_2.cap

If you want to split a capture file in multiple files, you have to use editcap
(and not Wireshark):
$ editcap -c 200 merge1_2.cap split.cap

Wireshark options -b (Capture output: ringbuffer) -a (Capture stop conditions:
autostop)
You only use the options -b and -a in Wireshark or TShark, if you want to
start a life capture and you want to send the output to multiple files.

For all the options take a look at wireshark -h or http://www.wireshark.org/docs/man-pages/wireshark.html

> Could any one explain me how to get the expected behaviour.
$mergecap -w merge1_2.cap input1.cap input2.cap

$editcap -c 200 merge1_2.cap split.cap
The output will be something like:
split.cap-00000
split.cap-00001
split.cap-00002
etc.

You can open those files with Wireshark or TShark.
$ wireshark -r split.cap-00000
$ tshark -r split.cap-00000

Hope this helps
Joan