Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Query on loading packets using command line options

Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 22:41:34 +0100
On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 10:52:10 -0800 Gerald Combs wrote:
>atdev.queries@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Thanks Joan and Gerald.
>>
>> Both of your approaches worked.
>> But my New query is
>> mergecap -w - file1.cap file2.cap |wiresahrk -k -i -
>> shall give me the output unsaved, i need to explicitly save it .
>> But what i need is save it to the XXX location as specified and into multiple
files of say 200KB.

>> I don't know the no.of files i am merging. There may be chance of "out
>> of memory" when i load the merged output file. So it would be better if

>> I could save them into smaller files.

I don't know if I understand you correctly.
Do you first want to merge 2 or more files and next split the outputfile
into multiple files?
If so:
$ mergecap -w mergefile1_2.cap file1.cap file2.cap

$ editcap -c 200 mergefile1_2.cap split.cap

Do you want to capture and write the output to multiple files?
If so, you can use TShark, Dumpcap or Wireshark.
TShark/Dumpcap -i <interface> -b <filesize:NUM - switch to next file after
NUM KB> -a <files:NUM - stop after NUM files> -w <outputfile>
$ dumpcap -i 2 -b filesize:200 -a files:2 -w F:\capturefiles\multiplefiles.cap

Wireshark: Capture -> Options -> Use Multiple Files

https://www.wireshark.org/docs/man-pages/mergecap.html
https://www.wireshark.org/docs/man-pages/editcap.html
https://www.wireshark.org/docs/man-pages/tshark.html

>Try feeding the output into dumpcap instead of Wireshark:
>
>mergecap -w - infile1.pcap infile2.pcap | dumpcap -i -w outfile -b filesize:200

Doesn't work for me:(

>http://www.wireshark.org/docs/man-pages/dumpcap.html
>
>--
>Join us for Sharkfest?09  |  Stanford University, June 15 ? 18
>http://www.cacetech.com/sharkfest.09/

Of course