Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Query on loading packets using command line options

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 10:52:10 -0800
atdev.queries@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Thanks Joan and Gerald.
>
> Both of your approaches worked.
> But my New query is
> mergecap -w - file1.cap file2.cap |wiresahrk -k -i -
> shall give me the output unsaved, i need to explicitly save it .
> But what i need is save it to the XXX location as specified and into multiple files of say 200KB.
>
> I don't know the no.of files i am merging. There may be chance of "out of memory" when i load the merged output file. So it would be better if  I could save them into smaller files.

Try feeding the output into dumpcap instead of Wireshark:

mergecap -w - infile1.pcap infile2.pcap | dumpcap -i -w outfile -b filesize:200

http://www.wireshark.org/docs/man-pages/dumpcap.html

--
Join us for Sharkfest’09  |  Stanford University, June 15 – 18
http://www.cacetech.com/sharkfest.09/

EARLY REGISTRATION DISCOUNTS through JANUARY 31, 2009