Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Crash on Edit > Preferences

From: Martin Lutz <MartinL@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 20:55:28 +0100
Hi,

I had the same problem. A clean build got me out of this.

Regards,
Martin.

On 03.12.2008, at 20:10, Abhik Sarkar wrote:

Hello All,

My SVN copy of Wireshark has been, for a while, crashing when I go to
Edit > Preferences. I finally decided to get to the bottom of this and
have some very strange observations... but to start at the beginning:
OS: Windows XP Professional
SVN revision: 26908
Build Env: VC++ 2008 EE

To investigate, I start Wireshark and then attach to it from VC++.
Then I go to Edit > Preferences. The result is that the program always
stops due to an access violation and VC++ opens the file packet-vnc.c
and breaks at this block in vnc_server_framebuffer_update
		case ENCODING_COPY_RECT:
			bytes_needed =
				vnc_copyrect_encoding(tvb, pinfo, offset,
						      vnc_encoding_type_tree,
						      width, height);
			break;

I can't figure out what packet-vnc.c would have to do with my going to
Edit > Preferences, but that what always comes up. Perhaps I am doing
something wrong. Can someone help out or suggest a new approach to try
and find the problem?

Version 1.0.4 works properly on the same machine.

Thanks,
Abhik.