Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] wireshark GUI documentation

From: Stephen Fisher <stephentfisher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 02:07:30 -0700
On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 12:39:53AM -0800, Ru wrote:

> has anyone written the packet capture data (currently writing in to
> GUI) in to a file. I am trying to write to a file instead of writing
> to GUI , can anyone post me a GUI documentation that i can use.

Have a look at tshark, a command-line utility that comes with Wireshark.
The -V command line argument is probably what you are looking for.  It
shows everything in the (default) middle pane that you see in Wireshark,
but not what the (default) top pane shows.  Without any command line
arguments (no -V), it will show what the top pane shows..  There are
many other options to try with tshark too.

If you're trying to do something else, let us know.

Steve