Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-users] Decode As dialog doesn't offer SMB

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 00:46:30 -0800

On Nov 21, 2008, at 10:08 PM, Bill Meier wrote:

It does seem to work, but a quick run-thru with the debugger suggests
that some further analysis is required. Port 445 is certainly
"hard-wired" in the code ...

NBSS is registered as a dissector that runs over TCP on port 445; all dissectors registered with a particular TCP port are offered as dissectors for TCP ports in "Decode As". (Other dissectors are not guaranteed to work over TCP, as they don't know the peculiarities of TCP - in particular, they might not be equipped to handle a bearer protocol that just offers a byte-stream service.)