Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] plugins.c: what's register_wtap_module for?

From: Stephen Fisher <stephentfisher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 06:59:20 -0700
On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 07:27:14PM +0800, yami wrote:

> Does anyone know what is register_wtap_module and register_codec_module for
> in plugins.c?
> I greped the whole code base, but could find any plugin use it.

register_wtap_module gives the ability for someone to write a wiretap
module see the wiretap directory in the base directory).  Wiretap is the
code that Wireshark uses to read capture files in various formats.  As
you noticed, the plug-in capability has not yet been used.

I believe that register_codec_module is for registering a RTP codec as a
plug-in that uses code that is not included in Wireshark (such as that
for voice codecs that cost money to license.)

Steve