Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Debugging WireShark / Visual 2008 / XP

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 10:41:57 -0500
Pat Saunders wrote:

Hi,

            I am using Microsoft Visual 2008 : winXP

I have added a small plug-in but when I start Wireshark.exe it crashes with a fault address in libwireshark.dll.

I am 75% sure this is due to my plug-in (When I take my plug-in out it starts most of the time).

My Question is how do I go about debugging the WireShark.exe to find out where the fault address crash is ??

(1)      � Are there any log files or debugging info .??

(2) � Do I use the Visual 2008 debugger � if so, Do I need to compile in debug mode ??

I am not very familiar with Visual 2008 � so any tips would be appreciated

See "Using MSVC++ for debugging" under http://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/Tips.

It's also worthwhile to spend a little time familiarizing yourself
with the various VS debugging windows and function keys (F5, F10, F11, etc).