Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] regarding memory failure in wireshark

From: "Speck, Michael" <Michael.Speck@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 14:21:06 +0100
Hi Prashanth,

AFAIK, Wireshark uses as much memory as it could allocate by your
systems.
The longer Wireshark runs the more memory is used.

There are several solutions:
First, you could install more RAM to your PC and/or increase the size of
virtual (swap) memory. A second option is to use more then one capture
files in a ring buffer fashion limiting each file's size to a reasonable
(for your system) length. This could be easily configured in Wiresharks
capture start dialog. A third option would be to capture only some bytes
of each packet, but that is often not a good idea, especially if you are
interested in the packet data.

cheers
Mike