Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] problem on "Prepare cmd.exe"

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 21:48:35 -0400
Joshua (Shiwei) Zhao wrote:
Hi,
I just lost my development setup so I has to rebuild it following the
develop guide for windows OS.
I remember there was 4 steps to prepare cmd.exe, but now there is only
3 steps. I remember that I had to call another file before calling
cvars32.bat.  Anyone knows what's changed?

For VC9 (VS2008) you only need to call vcvars32.bat.

I guess the missing step is the reason why I'm seeing the following error:
C:\wireshark-1.0.4>nmake -f Makefile.nmake verify_tools
Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 9.00.30729.01

tools/win32-setup.sh: line 4: $'\r': command not found
tools/win32-setup.sh: line 11: $'\r': command not found
tools/win32-setup.sh: line 14: $'\r': command not found
tools/win32-setup.sh: line 15: syntax error near unexpected token `$'{\r''
'ools/win32-setup.sh: line 15: `err_exit () {
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'd:\downloads\cygwin\bin\bash.EXE' : return code '0x2
'

I'm not altogether sure what this is;

Is MSC_VARIANT properly defined for VS2008 in config.nmake ??

I should note that the '\r' command not found stuff sounds like an issue related to cygwin bash being run without the igncr option and thus having trouble with the DOS \r\n line endings of the win-32-setup.sh file. However, this should not happen inasmuch as the config.nmake should automatically deal with this issue.

Is cygwin up to date ?
Do you have c:\cygwin\bin in your Path ?

If you continue to have this problem, please post the complete output from the nmake -f ... verify-tools as well as a listing of your environment variables (from a 'set' command) so we can see what's going on.