Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Warnings when building on Ubuntu 8.10

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 19:47:06 -0700

On Oct 30, 2008, at 5:29 PM, Stig Bjørlykke wrote:

I get alot of new warnings when trying to compile on Ubuntu 8.10:
"packet-acn.c: 481: error: format not a string literal and no format
arguments"

The bug is exactly what it says - if you're using a printf-like function, if the format string argument isn't a string constant, presumably it's a format string of some sort, with % format items, and so should have arguments. If you've just constructed a string and want to format it, the right way to do that is to use "%s" as the format string; otherwise, if the string contains any "%" chraacters, it won't be formatted the way you want.

I've checked in a change that should fix it (by using "%s" as the format string).