Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Custom make on *nix?

From: "Anders Broman" <anders.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 09:56:51 +0200
Title: Custom make on *nix?

Hi,
I got a queston from a collegue about custom make on linux which I'm forwarding to our build gurus :)
(Translated):
In the windows  version it is easy to add your own plugins by updating  Custom.nmake.
We haven't found anything similar for Linux, we have made the following changes to the 4 linux files affected:
Adding a macro which gets the plugin information from 2 files (if they exist). Then you only have to update 2 files to add a plugin.

Is this the right thing to do or is thre a better alternative?

The code is quite simple

In top level Makefile.am :

-include plugins/Custom.make
plugin_ldadd = $(_CUSTOM_plugin_ldadd_)\
Same change in the other Makefile.am:s

In configure.in:

Sinclude(plugins/Custom.m4) dnl
ifdef(_CUSTOM_AC_OUTPUT_, '', define(_CUSTOM_AC_OUTPUT_,)) dnl
AC_OUTPUT (
 _CUSTOM_AC_OUTPUT_
,)

Finally we are wondering if the path under linux is correct.
In http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsug_html_chunked/ChAppFilesConfigurationSection.html it says
/usr/share/wireshark/plugins, /usr/local/share/wireshark/plugins, $HOME/.wireshark/plugins
In our system the plugins are not under the share catalouge, it's under lib. [/usr/local/lib/wireshark/plugins/$Wireshark_Version]

Regards
Anders