Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Issues with Installing Libraries (Win32)

From: John Sullivan <jsethdev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 23:56:24 +0100
On Monday, October 20, 2008, 8:26:17 PM, jdolly@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Here's the output I see for your questions:

> 1) C:\wireshark>ls -dl /usr/bin/pod2html*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 ramesh.sankar mkgroup_l_d 14 Oct 17 14:43 /usr/bin/pod2html -> pod2html5.10.0
> ----------+ 1 ramesh.sankar mkgroup_l_d 2350 Jul 3 10:07 /usr/bin/pod2html5.10.0
> 2) C:\wireshark>ls -dl /usr/bin/perl*
> ----------+ 1 ramesh.sankar mkgroup_l_d 9216 Jul 3 10:08 /usr/bin/perl.exe
> ----------+ 1 ramesh.sankar mkgroup_l_d 9216 Jul 3 10:08 /usr/bin/perl5.10.0.exe

Ok, that's new (to me, at least). Googling around, apparently those
permission specs refer to extra ACL permissions not representable as
standard UNIX permissions bits when cygwin is using native NT ACLs to
control access to files. Apparently the command "getfacl" will expand
on their meaning. That might be a useful thing to try.

Also checking the file Security info from Explorer.

What does "echo $CYGWIN" from bash say?

Did you install cygwin using the same user you're trying to compile
under?

> 4) C:\wireshark>/usr/bin/perl -S pod2html --title="The Wireshark Network
> Analyzer 1.1.2-DVB-SIM" --css=ws.css --noind wireshark-tmp.pod
>>wireshark.html
> The system cannot find the path specified.

Sorry, you need to run that from a cygwin bash prompt, not cmd.exe.

It might also be helpful to be running it from the same directory that
nmake would be running in at that point - which looks like it might be
C:\wireshark\doc - probably something like /c/wireshark/doc or
/cygdrive/c/wireshark/doc from bash. (Though I'm mostly interested in
errors trying to exec the script itself rather than whether it can
find its input files one it manages to run, it usually pays not to
gratuitously change things.)

And given the other info, try that line with both "/usr/bin/perl" and
"/usr/bin/perl5.10.0".

John
--
Dead stars still burn