Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Issues with Installing Libraries (Win32)

From: John Sullivan <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 23:39:39 +0100
On Thursday, October 16, 2008, 10:22:48 PM, Anders Broman wrote:
> Gussing something with Perl?

> Your path perl: /cygdrive/c/Perl/bin/perl

> Mine:

> perl: /usr/bin/perl do you have Cygwin Perl?

Ooh, ooh! I might have an idea here:

ActiveState ActivePerl currently installs itself under C:\Perl or
C:\Perl64 by default.

cygwin installs itself wherever you tell it and does really funky
things to %PATH% to convert it into a sane $PATH.

Normal Win32 binary paths under cygwin generally end up like the
former perl-path.

Cygwin's own binaries generally end up like the latter (it aliases
/usr/bin to whatever its own genuine Win32 path actually is.)

If you had *both* installed, and ActiveState was ahead in the Windows
search path, but for some reason the cygwin perl.exe was getting
executed for the pod2html (which is just a hashbang perl script), you
might end up executing random cygwin binaries under the ActiveState
environment. Both environments are pretty weird. They were weird and
incompatible the last time I tried several years back, and AFAICT
they've only got weirder since, cygwin particularly so.

I find running one or the other on a particular machine, but not both,
to be the only reliable way.

John
--
Dead stars still burn