Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Can execute compiled Wireshark/tshark :-(

From: "Maynard, Chris" <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 11:11:07 -0400
According to the LUA website (http://luaforwindows.luaforge.net/), LUA depends on MSVC++ 2005, not 2008; however, that doesn't seem to be the case here, which tells me that the package downloaded from http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/wireshark-win32-libs/tags/2008-10-01/packages/ was built from source against MSVC+ 2008.  In fact, there are two lua packages posted, lua5_1_4_Win32_dll9_lib.zip and lua5_1_dll.zip.  The "dll9" probably means that that one is dependent on msvcr90.dll, rather than msvcr80.dll.

So another possible solution would be to modify your Makefile.nmake file so when you run "nmake -f Makefile.nmake setup", you'll download the other lua package, lua5_1_dll.zip, instead of the default one built against MSVC 2008.  Of course if you require the latest version of lua, then that might not be acceptable to you.  In that case, you could either download the binaries directly from http://luaforge.net/frs/?group_id=377 and copy the dll's to C:\wireshark-win32-libs\lua5.1.4.  Or you could even try to download the lua sources and compile them yourself: http://www.lua.org/ftp/.

But as Anders mentions, installing MSVC2008 should resolve this problem.  I safely run VS6.0 and VS2008 on the same machine.  I have no reason to suspect that you couldn't run 2005 and 2008 on the same machine too (although I have not actually done it so you're on your own there.)

And one other thing you could try is to download and install vcredist_x86.exe for MSVC 2008, which will install the missing DLL's, without having to install MSVC 2008: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9B2DA534-3E03-4391-8A4D-074B9F2BC1BF&displaylang=en.

- Chris

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this email are confidential
and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient. If you receive this
email in error, please delete it from your system immediately and
notify us either by email, telephone or fax. You should not copy,
forward, or otherwise disclose the content of the email.