Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] dropped packets stats for dumpcap/tshark ring buffer mode

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 18:21:26 +0200
Hi,

Wow, 36 monitor ports. All connected on one platform? Impressive.

I'm not sure what insight I can give you on the dropped packets statitics. What I can do is advice you to capture with dumpcap i.s.o. tshark. The thing is tshark spawns dumpcap to do the capture, but then does the dissection. From what I've read so far you are only interested in the capture files. So leave the dissection (most CPU intensive) out and let dumpcap (most IO intensive) do the capturing. I'm sure you know your way around a command line so this should be no problem.

Thanx,
Jaap

Filonenko Alexander-AAF013 wrote:
Jaap,

Thanks for looking into this.

When 36 ethernet ports can cause packet drops on the capture
interface then probably the monitor port will be dropping
packets too. How are you going to account for that?

There is no single monitor port. The 36 ports are the monitor ports with 36 instances of tshark (one port - one tshark) running in buffer ring mode.

Number of ports should not affect complexity of solution, I hope.

Let's consider scenario with one port and one tshark instance.
When tshark runs 24/7 and I am examining a buffer taken 15 minutes ago, how do I know if any packets were dropped while the buffer was captured?

Ideally would like a separate file stored for each ring buffer by
tshark with number of packets dropped. Using Perl with
Net::Pcap might
be able to help determine if packets were dropped in real-time (not
sure if this is going to work with tshark).
Any other approaches?

Thanks,
Alex