Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Problems to Update GTK2/Glib in 1.0.4

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 22:39:05 +0200
Jeff Morriss wrote:

Gerald Combs wrote:
Anders Broman wrote:
Hi,
Couldn't glib for gtk1 and gtk2 be separated.
Would something like this work? Or isn't it worth the effort?
The only thing keeping GTK1 around was the need for 256-color mode support. If
we update GTK2 in /trunk-1.0, should we drop the GTK1 version like we did in /trunk?

Only on the Windows builds, I hope ;-)

Well, even that would go against the whole idea of stable release. Dropping GTK1 on Win32 feels to me like a big change. We better be *very* sure GTK1 is used only for 256 color support. Otherwise we're cutting people off with nowhere to go, exactly what the 1.0 branch is for, a place of last resort.

Thanx,
Jaap