Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Discerning Ethernet 802.3 vs Ethernet II (or TCP/IP)

From: "Fulko Hew" <fulko.hew@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 14:26:30 -0400

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Pat Kujawa <pat.kujawa+wireshark@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

... snip ...

In reading through packet-eth.c, it seems that the ethernet type is being determined by checking a length field, but I don't understand where that field is coming from ("etype = pntohs(&pd[offset+12])").

... snip ...

ISTR When I had to do this myself about 20 years ago, something along the lines of:

If the length was a valid length Ie. less than the 1500 bytes allowed, then it was an Ethernet II packet,
and that 802.3 packet types started with enumerations that were larger than a valid packet size.