Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] how to get Wireshark symbol file?

From: WangJing <wj.vivian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 16:31:24 +0800

AS Development Tips  says:

If you are just wanting to debug Wireshark then the Win32 binaries should already include the debug symbols by default. You can look at the file config.nmake and ensure that the debug switch is enabled...

# Linker flags
# /DEBUG generate debug info
LOCAL_LDFLAGS=/DEBUG
Once you have a valid binary with debug symbols you can easily debug Wireshark by opening up the binary from within MSVC.

I confirm that my config.nmake contain the DEBUG switch:
# Linker flags:
# /DEBUG  generate debug info
# /PROFILE generate map file(s) for profiling
# /DEFAULTLIB:xxx use xxx as the standard C library
# /NODEFAULTLIB:xxx don't use xxx as the standard C library
#
LOCAL_LDFLAGS=/DEBUG

But no matter any debugger I use, It can not load the symbol file.

when I add Wireshark.exe to WinDbg(version 5.1), it says:

CommandLine: D:\work\WS-investigation\wireshark-1.0.2\wireshark-gtk2\wireshark.exe
Symbol search path is: *** Invalid ***
* Symbol loading may be unreliable without a symbol search path.           *
* Use .symfix to have the debugger choose a symbol path.                   *
* After setting your symbol path, use .reload to refresh symbol locations. *
*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found.

I confuse that How could I get the "Symbol file"...or it has generated anywhere I don't know.
Anyhow, who could tell me ...Thank you very much....