Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark 1.1.0 does not start on Clean XP

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 13:59:27 -0700
david_aggeler@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I hardly dare to ask. Am I the only one, who has difficulties to start wireshark dev 1.1 (http://www.wireshark.org/download/win32/wireshark-win32-1.1.0.exe)? I get 'Application failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect'
>
> I tried it on a system which had many wiresharke editions on it and now on a clean Windows XP SP3, with all Hotfixes applied.
>
> The thread http://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/200706/msg00001.html talks about a manifest. But I'm not talking about my own build.
>
> What do I miss? The new vc_redist?

The problem isn't with your computer, it's with the way the installer was built.
(It could be argued that the _real_ problem is with Visual Studio 2008 SP1's
crazy-axe-wielding-insane manifest binding behavior.) A 1.1.1 release should be
out in the next few days which should fix the problem. In the meantime, if you
want to try out Wireshark's latest features you can download an automated build
from http://www.wireshark.org/download/automated/win32/.