Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] USB support

From: John R. Hogerhuis <jhoger@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 17:43:17 +0000 (UTC)
Guy Harris <guy@...> writes:

> On Sep 19, 2008, at 6:02 PM, John R. Hogerhuis wrote:
>
> Libpcap doesn't support Linux USB, period, yet, if by "yet" you mean
> "in any release that tcpdump.org has put out".

Understood, but yeah I just meant in the sense "might work," not "a supported
release."

> Perhaps your distribution has added Linux USB support from, for
> example, top-of-CVS-tree libpcap; the *current* top-of-CVS tree
> libpcap should support the binary interface, but perhaps your
> distribution has an earlier version of the code that doesn't support it.
>
> What version of what distribution are you running?

I'm running Ubuntu Hardy Heron but I built Libpcap from tip of revision control
I think two or three weeks ago. Same for Wireshark.

But if you think it should be supporting the binary format, then maybe I'm
linking to the wrong version. Seems unlikely though since I got latest libpcap
and built because Wireshark didn't show me anything related to usb until I
figured out that I didn't just need latest libpcap release, I needed tip of
revision control, got it, built, installed.

thx

-- John.