Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Need help in debugging custom plugin on linux

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 07:29:02 +0200
Hi,

What you can do is use DDD, the graphical front end, which may make things easier to oversee.

Load the application in your debugger and after the exception use 'bt' to get a stack frame. Traverse that to see what is happening.

Another option is to do a (binary) search for the offending packet in a capture. Try to get as much info out of it (you could use the tshark output for that) for the path the code takes. Then analyze what's going on.

Another option would be to boldly replace the malloc/free calls by ep_ and/or se_ allocations, which handle the management automagically. See doc/README.malloc for details. You may end up doing that anyway.

Thanx,
Jaap

siri m wrote:
Hi,

Can someone give a brief summary of how to debug custom written external plugins for wireshark on linux (using kdbg or gdb)? Any suggestions would be helpful to debug an invalid frees that glibc is complaining in the custom plugin that was written long back by someone?

Thanks,