Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Problem with Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN card

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 16:49:52 -0700

On Sep 9, 2008, at 3:24 PM, Gianluca Varenni wrote:

Short story: the wireless adapter is probably one of the two "Microsoft"
ones.

As opposed to the "MS Tunnel Interface Driver"; *that* name goes back to at least 2005:

	http://thud.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-users/200511/msg00119.html

i.e., long before Vista and the native Wi-Fi stuff.  Google also found

	http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-223683.php

from which I infer that the "MS Tunnel Interface" might be for 6to4:

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6to4

and/or Teredo:

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teredo_tunneling

and/or "Automatic" tunnelling:

	http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms737544(VS.85).aspx

which all are for various forms of tunneling IPv6 through non-IPv6- capable equipment/networks.

I.e., the "MS Tunnel Interface Driver" might have nothing to do with Wi-Fi, and might appear on, for example, Ethernet-only machines.

Long story: starting from Vista, wireless drivers can be old style (NDIS
5.x) working exactly like in Windows 2000/XP, or native Wifi drivers
(NDIS6). In this case the driver is lightweight and delivers 802.11 frames to an intermediate driver (developed by MS) that converts 802.11 frames into cooked 802.3 frames that can be managed by the upper protocols like the TCP/IP stack. This intermediate driver is also responsible for managing association/disassociation, BSSID scans and such. And this intermediate driver is also responsible for filtering the requests coming from the upper protocols (like WinPcap) for the underlying device description, and always
returning "Microsoft" instead of e.g. "Intel Wireless 4965 Adapter".

I haven't looked if there is a possible workaround to the problem, yet.

The problem being that you can't get the name of the adapter, so you just have these two mysterious "Microsoft" adapters, one or more of which might support capturing on Wi-Fi networks (possibly even in promiscuous mode), and the names don't let the user know that they correspond to the wireless adapter?