Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] heuristic Dissector vs. normal dissector

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 18:25:33 -0400

Wireshark will first[1] try giving a given packet to port-registered dissectors. If any of them accept the message, it's done. If none of them take the message (or there are no port-registered dissectors on that port), Wireshark will give the packet to each heuristic TCP dissector, one after the other, until one accepts the packet.

[1] TCP has a "try heuristic subdissectors first" option which makes it try the heuristic dissectors before the port-registered ones.

Tom Stevens wrote:
Thanks for the information!

But, without a Port number, how can wireshark find (identify) the correct dissector for the incoming packets. What are specific criteria? Maybe you can give me an example. I'm a bit slow on the uptake at the moment.

Greetings Tom (Germany)