Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Lint of packet-tcp.c

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 22:50:59 +0200
Maynard, Chris schrieb:
I've been using Gimpel's PC-Lint for a long time and really like it a
lot.  It's a commercial product but it's pretty cheap for a single seat
license at $239: http://www.gimpel.com/.  PC-Lint runs on Windows, but
their Flexelint product runs on *nix's.

Splint is open-source & free though and should be able to detect similar
problems I would think.  I tried it once or twice but was already
comfortable with PC-Lint so I never made the switch:
http://www.splint.org/download.html.

If we want to start using a "lint alike" tool on the buildbot ...

As splint is open source and usually available through the packaging mechanisms of the Unix platforms I know (this includes cygwin on Windows), I would think that using splint should really be the way to go.

Years ago I tried splint on a project, by default it returned a lot of false positives. So IMHO we will need to tweak the configuration a lot before splint starts to produce useful results for us ...

Anyway, I would try to avoid using commercial products for open source development where reasonably possible ...

Regards, ULFL