Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] performing cpu/time intensive computation in a protocol diss

From: "Luis EG Ontanon" <luis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 14:53:11 +0200
Insecurity people panic... security people take action...

Security people that ban a program that finds/exploits a hole are not
security people... security people makes sure a well known a very
impacting vulnerabiliy is taken away.

I think that letting users to know that e.g. their Bank's website SSL
key is broken is a good thing, they will avoid using and start
complaining (As I did, now my bank uses a secure key, haven't I proven
the key I might have been using for longer).

The doctrine of not making people aware of vulnerabilities is a
botched one. The point is: Bad people will know about the
vulnerability. Having good people not knowing, makes them unable to
take action so the result is vulnerability.

It's wrong to blame who finds a problem for it...