Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Windows build environment changes

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 12:02:29 -0600
Question 32 in the Visual Studio Express FAQ
(http://www.microsoft.com/express/support/faq/) hints that it's possible:

  Does Visual C++ 2008 Express include the "optimizing compiler"?

  Yes, Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition includes the same core optimizing
  compiler that will be included with all other Visual Studio 2008
  editions. Some new expanded optimization features, including Profile
  Guided Optimizations, will be available only in the Standard and above
  editions of Visual Studio 2008.

I don't know if anyone has actually tried it, however.