Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] SVN #25615: "Wiretap code probably shouldn't abort the appli

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 18:00:52 -0400
Guy Harris wrote:

Bill Meier wrote
A quick look suggests that the following 3 files are using g_assert when checking for file format errors. I would guess that this code should be
changed ....

A true file format error should never result in an assertion failure or other exit. However:

ngsniffer.c: g_assert

<snip>

Seems as to how my "quick look" was much too quick (at least for one and possibly for two reasons) :-(

1. My thanks to Guy for his detailed reply about ngsniffer & etc ....

My understanding of the replies is that the current usage of g_error & g_assert in wiretap files is OK. (I'll remove the 'debug' case in k12.c).

2. Also: I may be quite off-base as to checkAPIs errors being the reason why the install packages aren't appearing in
  http://www.wireshark.org/download/automated/win32/.

I now see that each of the Windows buildbot 'create installer/package' steps apparently succeeds (although there is something that looks like an error message (possibly not relevant) in the log for each step).

I don't know how the packaging & etc works as part of the build so I'll just note that the packages don't seem to be ending up in the .../win32 directory.