Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] A question related to conversations

From: Richard Achmatowicz <rachmato@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:00:44 -0400 (EDT)
Sake

Thanks for your help so far.

1. JGroups can use UDP or TCP as a transport, but not both. Assume for the time being that it uses TCP only.
2. By a two process interaction, I just mean a TCP connection between some addr1/port1 and some addr2/port2.

I initially wrote a dissector which worked for UDP packets which contained a single, complete JGroups PDU.
Because of TCP segmentation, I had to modify this dissector to call tcp_dissect_pdus() before calling the
JGroups PDU dissector, so that TCP segment reassembly could take place. With this in place, I get captures
which look like the attached screenshot (JGroupsDissector).

For example, packets 22,23,24 are the start of a TCP connection between 192.168.0.101:46272 and
192.168.0.101:asr. Packets 25, 27 and 29 are JGroups PDUs being sent from 46272 to asr; packet 31 is
a JGroups PDU being sent from asr to 46272. Only the packet from asr to 46272 is dissected as a JGroups PDU;
the packets from 46272 to asr are not. This is consistent throughout the whole dissection. This is what
I meant by "only one side of the exchange is being dissected".

On the other hand, for the TCP packets from 46272 to asr, they are marked as "TCP segment of a reassembled PDU"
- but never seem to get processed as a JGROUPS PDU. I assume that these reassembled PDU messages are a result
of using tcp_dissect_pdus(). Does this look suspicious?

In the dissector, I have registered the dissector with TCP using a specified TCP port. In the example screenshot, it
is set to the value of asr (actually 7800). If I change the specified TCP port to 1234, no JGROUPS level dissection takes
place.

So one question: if TCP creates the conversations automatically, how does Wireshark know to apply the JGROUPS dissector
to both directions of a conversation, which I specifically associated the disector with a single port (which happens to be
the port of one side of the connection)?

Richard