Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Query on Field Registration

From: "Kumar, Hemant" <kumarh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 17:23:49 -0700
Hello

 Another query that has surfaced up while doing the design for dissector module is , whether there is a concept of tree and subtree while registration of the fields?

Actually, I have a set of messages and all of them have a common field which again contains subfields. So under the current situation for registration of fields

I have to register the same field again and again for different messages with different names like

Message1.field1.field2

Message2.field1.field2 and so .

So that in the expression window user should not get confused with a common parameter for all the messages.

Is there any way out so that in the expression window when the user wants to set some parameter for field2 so as to collect only message 1 , he should be able to see a tree under message1 and and then again a subtree for field1 ,whose branch contains a set of parameters including field2  and so on and appropriately set the required parameter for a particular message.

If there is a way out then I will be able to share a common dissect function for a particular field tyoe across all the messages otherwise I have to register

Customized fields for various messages and also have to write  customized dissectors with the customized variables for particular message type.In this way

For the same field in different messages I have to write several instances of the same function containing different names of the fields and subfield which are actually the one and same.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Hemant