Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] TCP Reassembly

From: "Matt Poduska" <mpoduska.intermec@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 07:58:48 -0500
Title: TCP Reassembly

I'm attempting to dissect a TCP protocol where messages can be much larger than the size of an 802.3 frame. I've followed the recipe for dissecting TCP fragments in the wiki (http://wireshark.digimirror.nl/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChDissectReassemble.html), but I'm finding that tvb_* functions don't seem to reflect the proper size of the reassembled message. For instance, I have a message that's around 32kB, split across about 20 frames. I find that even though I've called the dissector using tcp_dissect_pdus() with a length of 32kB, within my dissector tvb_length_remaining() returns only the length of the first frame, around 1.5kB. Are there alternate tvb_* functions I should be using? Are the tvb's somehow chained, and I'm not looking at the correct one?

Thanks,

Matt Poduska
Software Engineer, RFID Systems
Intermec