Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Does "Save column widths" need to be a preference?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 18:01:37 -0700

On Apr 12, 2008, at 12:37 PM, stig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/viewvc.cgi?view=rev&revision=24949

User: stig
Date: 2008/04/12 07:37 PM

Log:
Added an option to save column widths in the recent file.

Is there any reason for that to be a preference?

I.e., is there any reason why somebody would want that preference turned off?

For that matter, is there any reason why "Save window size" is a preference?

One *possible* reason is that you might switch between systems with different-sized displays *and* might have a common home directory on all those systems (e.g., a network home directory), and a window size and column widths appropriate on one display might be too small or too big for another display.

(I've seen similar problems with a certain file manager - whose name begins with "F", as in "FTFF" :-) - and its display of the icons on my desktop; logging into a machine with a smaller display than my default display causes it to try to display the same set of items in the same positions, and it ends up putting them in weird places; it then remembers the weird places, so the next time I log in to my main machine, the icons are all in the wrong places.)

The right answer for that might be to keep per-screen-size window size and column width values, so that the values are saved along with the screen height and width (in pixels), and the values corresponding to the current screen height and width, if any, are retrieved.