Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Start Dissection from an upper layer?

From: Guillaume Bienkowski <guillaume.bienkowski@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 13:25:15 +0200
Hello Guys,

I have successfully written a program that uses the Wireshark Lib to dissect some packets.

The thing is, through the API I was given from my boss, I can only receive informations from the 3rd layer (IPv4, IPX, ... layer), which confuses the dissectors, and screws the dissection.

One solution would be to allocate a temporary buffer which would include my 3rd layer and above, plus a fake header from the 2 bottom layers; but this would mean that I'd have to allocate memory for every packet... not really optimized..

Is it possible to use epan_dissect_run() from an upper layer, telling the library to start dissecting from a packet that has already been shortened?

Thanks in advance,

Guillaume