Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] TCP reassembly probem in ASN1 dissector

From: Oli Marling <oli-in-london@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 15:37:21 +0000
Hi all,

I've developed an ASN1 dissector for a protocol used locally that encapsulates IP packets as an octet string type:

My-PDU
    Contents   OCTET STRING -- where content is an IP packet

In my .cnf file I've defined a #.FN_BODY for the Contents field that calls a dissect_Contents(...) function in my .c template. Within this function I then make a call to call_dissector(ip_handle,...) to process the IP packets, all of which on the surface seems to work fine. The problem is that when the TCP carried in these IP packets is reassembled the following assertion warning is generated:

Warn Dissector bug, protocol TCP, in packet x: proto.c 3535: failed assertion "curr_item"

Could anybody offer some insight into what might be happening here and possibly provide some pointers as to how I might go about resolving this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Oli.

Get Started!