Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Two versions of wireshark.desktop?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 12:07:05 -0700
jake@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/viewvc.cgi?view=rev&revision=25406

User: jake
Date: 2008/05/31 09:44 AM

Log:
 Update Debian packaging files for Wireshark 1.0.
 These files build the package with all features and
 minimum changes from the released sources.

We now have two wireshark.desktop files, one in the top-level directory and one in the debian directory; the differences between them are:

$ diff wireshark.desktop debian
2c2
< # $Id: wireshark.desktop 23928 2007-12-20 14:16:13Z stig $
---
> # $Id: wireshark.desktop 25406 2008-05-31 16:44:02Z jake $
4,5c4,5
< # http://freedesktop.org/Standards/desktop-entry-spec
< # The entries are in the order they are listed in version 1.0
---
> # http://freedesktop.org/Standards/desktop-entry-spec/
> # The entries are in the order they are listed in version 0.9.4
9d8
< Name[vi]=Wireshark
42c41
< GenericName[nb]=Nettverksanalysator
---
> GenericName[nb]=Nettverksanalyse
44c43
< GenericName[nn]=Nettverksanalysator
---
> GenericName[nn]=Nettverksanalyse
68d66
< Comment[fi]=Verkkoliikenne analysaattori
69a68
> Comment[fi]=Verkkoliikenne analysaattori
71,73c70,72
< Icon=wireshark.png
< TryExec=wireshark
< Exec=wireshark
---
> Icon=hi48-app-wireshark.png
> Exec=/usr/bin/wireshark
> Path=
75,77c74,82
< # Categorie entry according to version 1.0 of
< # http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/menu-spec
< Categories=System;Monitor;GTK;
---
> MimeType=
> Categories=GNOME;Network;
> # Found in Suse 9.1:
> # X-KDE-SubstituteUID=true
> # Deprecated:
> # TerminalOptions=
> # BinaryPattern=wireshark
> # MapNotify=true
> # Protocols=

Is there a reason not to have just one "wireshark.desktop" file? If not, can it be in the top-level directory, or does the way Debian packaging is done require that it be in the "debian" directory?

Also, given that Wireshark 1.0 is not supposed to be run as root (only dumpcap needs privileges), is there any reason to have a wireshark-root.desktop file?